Friday, August 9, 2013

Near The Cross

1 Cor. 2:2 For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and him crucified.

The greatest period in the history of the world occurred when Jesus Christ came to planet earth. This greatest period came into its greatest focus at the cross of Calvary. It was for this moment and this purpose that Jesus came into the world. At the cross is where Jesus Christ accomplished his mission of redeeming a people unto himself and the Father. Satan was defeated on the cross and the redemption of the people of God was secured. This is why Paul can say his focus was on nothing else but Jesus Christ and him crucified. All theology flows from the cross as everything points to this moment and this event.

Sin, wrath, love, grace, redemption, faith, and eternal life are all expressed and dealt with at the cross. Praise God for the joy and peace that Christians have when their lives, attitude, and thoughts stay near the cross. In the photo of the cemetery above, a person even wanted their remains to be near the cross. If you are down and face seemingly insurmountable problems in your life, meditate on the words of the hymn below and take comfort in being near the cross.


Jesus Keep Me Near the Cross
Words by: Fanny Crosby

Jesus, keep me near the cross,
There a precious fountain
Free to all, a healing stream
Flows from Calvary’s mountain.

In the cross, in the cross,
Be my glory 
ever;
Till my raptured soul shall find
Rest beyond the river.

Near the cross, a trembling soul,
Love and mercy found me;
There the bright and morning star
Sheds its beams around me.

Near the cross! O Lamb of God,
Bring its scenes before me;
Help me walk from day to day,
With its shadows o’er me.

Near the cross I’ll watch and wait
Hoping, trusting ever,
Till I reach the golden strand,
Just beyond the river.

No comments:

Post a Comment